Chasing the podium at Misano with grit and determination was Aspar rider Bradley Smith. The Brtiton was plagued by problems after taking off from pole, lacking trust in his machinery over the opening handful of laps. One comeback later and he was in the fight for the rostrum, but when in sixth place the difficulties returned in the form of a gearbox issue. Rather than giving up, Smith fought to maintain positions, and worked his way up to fifth once more. The crash at the front rewarded him for his efforts with third place.
“I can say that I am happy with the podium, but it is a shame that we couldn’t have fought for an even better result. The start of the race was difficult for me -braking didn’t feel comfortable- but I felt better and better as the race progressed and I started to overtake other riders. I had fun riding and coming back through the field, and I knew that little by little I could get up to the podium places, but with ten laps to go I had a problem with the gearbox on the slow corners. That dropped me down again, and I thought that the rostrum had escaped my grasp. The last lap incident between Espargaró and Iannone gifted me third place, and I think that this was the perfect result. Fourth, second and third in the last three races are good results, and I’m feeling a lot more comfortable. I will have to continue like this and attack hard in the last four races to get the runner-up spot.”
- Enjoy ALL the MotoGP™ content for FREE
- Marquez & Quartararo just miss out on Virtual Race rostrum
- The world reacts to the first ever MotoGP™ Virtual Race
- Alex Marquez thanks Indonesia's Moe for Virtual Race victory
- Bagnaia delighted with "different" debut MotoGP™ podium
- Alex Marquez takes debut win in sensational Virtual Race
- Virtual Race: tune in for Round 1 - and get ready for more
- Puig: "Marc is a normal guy. But racing, he's an animal"
- Watch 10 of Valentino Rossi’s best races – for FREE!
- MotoGP™ Podcast in 2020: more platforms, more formats