Pos | Rider | Bike | Time | Gap
1. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m31.032s
2. Casey Stoner Ducati 1m31.167s + 0.135s
3. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m31.528s + 0.496s
4. Alex de Angelis Gresini Honda 1m31.786s + 0.754s
5. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m31.846s + 0.814s
6. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m32.077s + 1.045s
7. James Toseland Tech 3 Yamaha 1m32.255s + 1.223s
8. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m32.502s + 1.470s
9. Mika Kallio Pramac Ducati 1m32.572s + 1.540s
10. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 1m32.606s + 1.574s
11. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m32.771s + 1.739s
12. Randy de Puniet LCR Honda 1m32.808s + 1.776s
13. Toni Elias Gresini Honda 1m33.304s + 2.272s
14. Marco Melandri Hayate Kawasaki 1m33.422s + 2.390s
15. Chris Vermeulen Suzuki 1m33.504s + 2.472s
16. Gabor Talmacsi Scot Honda 1m33.818s + 2.786s
17. Niccolo Canepa Pramac Ducati 1m34.546s + 3.514s
James Toseland is largely happy with Friday’s performance:
“I’m satisfied with seventh because we’ve managed to get some good information on the set-up and I feel I’m in my best position on a Friday for a long time.”
“I was fast right from the off and in the top six for a long period which was really encouraging.
My guys worked hard as always to improve the bike and by the end of the session I felt we’d made some real progress. I had a small issue with the balance from front to rear when exiting corners, but we’ve got some ideas on how to improve that tomorrow.”
His session was interrupted by a fall on the approach to MG corner, but he was able to get the bike back across the infield to the pits and swiftly rejoin.
“That was just a small mistake of mine,” said Toseland. “I was good in that section of the track and looking to make up some time on the splits where I wasn’t quite so fast and I just lost the front.
“It cost me a bit of time but didn’t knock me out of my rhythm too much and by the end I was happy with my times and confident I can be fighting for a top six on Sunday.”
- Big changes made to MotoGP™ testing schedule
- Will Marquez be unleashed at Motegi?
- Four to go: Fernandez starts his final stand on Marquez turf
- Can Canet start climbing another mountain at Motegi?
- Moto3™ title to be decided in Valencia
- KTM’s female excellence: making the difference in MotoGP™
- Brazil and MotoGP™: a rekindled relationship
- F1’s Gasly on "amazing" Thai GP experience
- "We've been waiting for this!" - Brazil's stars on 2022 GP
- MotoGP™ returns to Rio de Janeiro from 2022