In today’s free practice Kev had the fastest bike for most of the session, surpassed only by two riders in the last moments which wouldn’t have been the case had he not been riding with an apparently defective tyre after the last pit stop.
But the second day at Jerez was still very good for the Aeroport de Castelló rider, staying within the Top 15 for some time, riding a bike which went as fast as 250Km/h and having almost entirely solved some chattering problems (excess bouncing of the suspension which causes loss of grip) which he had encountered yesterday.
But the final tyre change made it impossible for Kev to improve his laptime and finishing in a higher position which would have reflected his pace more accurately.
KEV COGHLAN: “I have mixed feelings. On the one hand I am happy because today the bike was very good, both engine and the chassis, and I felt very good with it. But after the last tyre change when I wanted to give everything to get a good position on the grid, a problem with the front tyre made it impossible for me to improve my laptime which I’m sure I could have done.
Tomorrow I want to finish the race in the top 15, start to score my first world championship points and fulfill the expectations of myself and the team.”
- Marquez, Binder, Navarro within a tenth on Day 2
- Canet closes out Day 2 on top
- Tony Skillington appointed FIM Chief Executive Officer
- Qatar Test: the final countdown begins
- Moto3™: Arbolino quickest out the blocks in 2019
- Moto2™: Marini triumphs on Day 1
- Marc Marquez: karting for Qatar
- Moto2™ and Moto3™: KTM testing at Jerez
- Last call: what can we expect at the Qatar Test?
- Estrella Galicia 0,0 present 2019 project in Madrid