Spain’s Monteblanco circuit was the setting for Avintia Racing’s 2013 launch on Friday. As well as running CRT bikes for Hiroshi Aoyama and Héctor Barberá in MotoGP™ this year, the squad also has Toni Elías and Britain’s Kyle Smith in its Moto2™ line-up.
The presentation featured various activities for guests, such as the opportunity to take to the track in a selection of vehicles while being coached by professional instructors. The riders – joined by team heads Raul Romero and Antonio Martín – later assembled for a team photograph ahead of the resumption of testing in Jerez next week.
Kyle Smith’s debut will be his first appearance in any of the current MotoGP™ categories.
“Thanks to Avintia Blusens, I will have the opportunity to learn alongside great riders and a great crew,” says the 21-year-old from Huddersfield, who at the age of seven relocated with his family to Spain. “I have to learn and just progress step-by-step, but I hope to achieve some good results.”
In pre-season testing so far this year, Avintia have appeared to be the closest challengers to CRT class leaders and reigning champions Power Electronics Aspar.
- Lorenzo returns to his land
- Rossi: "Last year was an extreme effort"
- 'DesmoDovi' focusing on fitness for Silverstone
- Can another Independent Team win at Silverstone?
- Laverty: "My aim is to finish in the top ten at Silverstone"
- Redding powers up for the #BritishGP
- Pedrosa focused on feeling heading into Silverstone
- #StatAttack: Team GB Special
- Marquez will "push at the maximum" in Silverstone
- Smith's blog: injuries and patriotism before the #BritishGP