Spain’s Monteblanco circuit was the setting for Avintia Racing’s 2013 launch on Friday. As well as running CRT bikes for Hiroshi Aoyama and Héctor Barberá in MotoGP™ this year, the squad also has Toni Elías and Britain’s Kyle Smith in its Moto2™ line-up.
The presentation featured various activities for guests, such as the opportunity to take to the track in a selection of vehicles while being coached by professional instructors. The riders – joined by team heads Raul Romero and Antonio Martín – later assembled for a team photograph ahead of the resumption of testing in Jerez next week.
Kyle Smith’s debut will be his first appearance in any of the current MotoGP™ categories.
“Thanks to Avintia Blusens, I will have the opportunity to learn alongside great riders and a great crew,” says the 21-year-old from Huddersfield, who at the age of seven relocated with his family to Spain. “I have to learn and just progress step-by-step, but I hope to achieve some good results.”
In pre-season testing so far this year, Avintia have appeared to be the closest challengers to CRT class leaders and reigning champions Power Electronics Aspar.
- Rossi: “Iannone just beat me by 0.004s”
- Lorenzo: “We again tried the new chassis”
- Redding: “I’m confident for the race”
- MotoGP™ charges towards its 250th race
- Luthi: “We found a way with the bike setup”
- Marquez: “We found things a little demanding”
- Petrucci: “I am enjoying riding again”
- Iannone: “It was difficult to change direction”
- Sunshine graces Moto2™ as Luthi leads
- Canet: “I followed the more experienced riders”