A crash caused by Alexis Masbou brought a sad and premature end to what had been a great race for John McPhee in the season opener in Qatar.
John crashed out on the penultimate lap of the Grand Prix when he was running 15th. He was taken out by Alexis Masbou on lap 17, who flew up the inside of John, while out of control, taking John’s front wheel from underneath him.
The resulting crash was a heavy impact but thankfully it did not result in any serious injury. Places 14-18 had been in race-long contention with Iwema, Fenati, Miller and Masbou all involved in the scrap.
John had just moved up to 15th when the incident occurred. RTG team-mate Miller just missed out on the final point in 16th.
Podium finishers were Luis Salom (Red Bull Ajo / KTM), Maverick Vinales (Calvo / KTM) +0.417 and Alex Rins (Estrella Galicia / KTM) +0.423.
- There’s no place like Assen. Are you ready for more?
- Can Alex Marquez make it four in a row at Assen?
- Down to the final chicane: Dalla Porta looks to strike back
- Be part of the next generation of champions
- Challenge #1 - Rider Playing: Jorge Lorenzo
- Ramirez: "It felt really amazing! It was incredible"
- “It was a normal mistake that had horrendous consequences”
- Dalla Porta: Moto3™’s unluckiest man?
- Aprilia, KTM continue testing in Barcelona
- That's a wrap: MotoE™ complete Valencia Test