Tech 3 Racing Team rider Danny Kent showcased his full potential on the French-built Mistral 610 machine this afternoon to storm to a season best grid position in a close Moto2 qualifying battle at the Brno track.
The British rider will start tomorrow’s 20-lap race from a promising 12th position, with Kent’s best lap putting him less than 0.050s away from securing a first top 10 start.
Kent has been in fantastic form all weekend and signs that he is making huge strides in adapting to the demands of the fiercely fought Moto2 category were evident in practice when he delivered an outstanding performance.
Danny powered his Mistral 610 machine to the fifth quickest time on combined times at the end of FP3, a lap of 2.03.123 a stunning improvement of almost two seconds compared to his speed in yesterday’s opening session.
The former Moto3 winner continued to impress in this afternoon’s qualifying session and at one stage he had thrust himself into contention for the top six in pleasantly warm conditions.
His final pace of 2.02.956 was only a fraction over 0.7s away from pole position and just under 0.4s away from World Championship contender Pol Espargaro on the front row. Kent is now confident he will be able to mount a strong challenge for his second points scoring finish of the season ahead of his vital home race at Silverstone next weekend.
Danny Kent 12th 2.02.956 – 19 laps :
“I’m very happy with my qualifying today. I’m just 0.3 seconds away from second position, but what’s even more important is that I’ve been consistently fast during all the practice sessions this weekend and my race pace is really promising. The crucial point for tomorrow’s race will be the start, but I’m convinced we will battle for a good top 10 finish. I also want to thank my team because after the difficult race last week in Indianapolis they really helped me to improve my feeling and my confidence each time I went out on track. Now I would love to reward their hard work with a good result.”
Source: Tech3 Communications
- MM93 vs the Hahnenkamm: Marquez goes for a spin on snow
- Movistar Yamaha MotoGP launch 2017
- 2017 team launch for Lüthi, Lecuona and Raffin
- Puig: New junior series plans to expand racing in the UK
- Rins talks injury, rookie pressure – and his aims for 2017
- Laverty wins the first MotoGP Championship Quest
- Bautista : "Fighting in the top five would be a good result"
- MotoGP™ affiliated traumatology department 'best in Spain'
- MotoGP™ community donates €12,156.69 to Italy’s Croce Rossa
- Capirossi to represent Dorna within Race Direction