Tech 3 Racing Team rider Danny Kent has given himself a great chance of kicking off the flyaway triple-header in Malaysia tomorrow with a points scoring finish after an excellent Moto2 qualifying performance at the Sepang International Circuit.
With threatening grey clouds looming large over the vast Sepang track, Kent went straight into attack mode to try and post a competitive lap time in case further rain disrupted proceedings after wet weather had interrupted this morning’s FP3 session.
Kent built up his pace throughout the 45-minute qualifying session and he delivered a tremendous late attack to finish 16th on the grid with a personal best lap of 2.08.359.
His confident and assured performance on the French designed and built Mistral 610 machine left him just over 0.6s away from the top six.
And Kent’s best lap in qualifying was almost 1.2s faster than his quickest pace in practice to highlight the outstanding progress he made today. He is now brimming with confidence that he can add a fourth top 15 finish of the season in tomorrow’s 19-lap race.
Danny Kent 16th 2.08.359 – 17 laps:
“I can’t be too disappointed to be in a decent grid position because all weekend I have found a lack of rear grip an issue. But right at the end of qualifying we modified the bike and we found a good feeling and I was confident enough to push and I took a big chunk of time off my previous best from practice. It was a good step and I am really happy and confident we have the bike performing well for tomorrow. It is going to be a long and physically demanding race and I will be giving my maximum to get a result for the team to pay them back for all the hard work they have been putting in.”
Source: Tech3 Communications
- Navarro: "I said to myself 'this has to be our race'"
- Rabat: "I'm running out of leathers!"
- The "new and improved" Marquez: fighting the demon within
- Binder: "Something is changing in South Africa"
- Baz: “My target was to finish”
- Bautista satisfied with MotorLand
- Laverty draws on positives in 14th
- Pirro gives his verdict on MotorLand
- Marquez, Pedrosa complete productive one-day test at Aragon
- #AragonGP: Twitter highlights