A record Malaysian Grand Prix crowd witnessed Tech 3 Racing Team rider Danny Kent equal his career best Moto2 World Championship result today in a restarted race at the spectacular Sepang International Circuit.
The British rider claimed a fantastic 12th position in a battle that was shortened from the original 19-lap distance to 12 laps following a multi-rider first lap accident that gave Race Direction no option but to halt proceedings.
Once the action got underway again in physically demanding heat that saw air temperatures nudge over the 30 degree mark, Kent made a brilliant start from 16th to fight his way to the brink of the top 10 on the opening lap.
He dropped back to his starting position but then mounted a superb counter attack that thrust him back to the head of an exciting five-rider tussle involving former Moto3 adversary Sandro Cortese, Anthony West, Ricky Cardus and Marcel Schrotter.
Kent remained ice cool under pressure and rode an immaculate final few laps to keep the group behind him to score points in successive races for the first time on the French designed and built Mistral 610 machine.
Danny Kent 12th – 12 points:
“I am really happy to get back in the points and it was good to get a better position than Sandro because he has been my benchmark all season after we moved up together from Moto3. It was a really good battle with a strong group behind me and I am content that I kept my pace consistent without giving anybody the chance to take 12th off me. I think I could have pulled away from the pack but all weekend I’ve been having some issue with brake fade and it happened again in the race, so I had to change my style and it took me a few laps to adapt. But I am pleased and I enjoyed being in a fight and I can look forward to another strong race in Australia, which is a track I like.”
Source: Tech3 Communications
- 2018 and the incredible record of the Road to MotoGP™
- GP Recap: Marquez makes a mark on the title in the Czech GP
- FIM Moto-e World Cup to race with Michelin
- GP Recap: Marquez makes it eight in a row in Germany
- Energica to supply motorcycles for FIM Moto-e World Cup
- Down to business for the Dutch GP
- GP Recap: Rossi takes memorable 115th win in Assen
- GP Recap: A double for Dovizioso at Catalunya
- GP Recap: Dovi does it for Ducati in Mugello
- Decisions of the Grand Prix Commission on November 29th