Qualifying for Moto3 at Motegi had a delayed start due to weather. The session was extended to 55mins to compensate for zero free practice, and was run in pretty atrocious conditions with standing water in parts. Rain returned soon after start, and riders were running with taped up radiators due to low ambient temperature. There were deteriorating conditions as session progressed, but a slight improvement towards the end.
John McPhee eventually qualified in 22nd, 2:12.468 (+3.081)
Because of all the time we had lost we had to go straight into qualifying which was pretty tricky but the session was extended from 40 – 55 minutes to give us extra time to make up for the missed sessions.
The track was still very wet, with some standing water, and it took a while to get into a rhythm. We had a few issues with fuelling and had to make a few adjustments to the chassis set up but luckily I managed to get one lap in at the end of the session. Not a great finish, down in 22nd but all times are very close as usual!
If it’s wet on raceday we know now which direction we need to go in so whether it’s wet or dry I’m felling confident that I can improve my position tomorrow.
We’ll have an extended practice in the morning before the race so hopefully this will give me some extra time to test some things.
- Four front, rear slick tyre options selected for Silverstone
- Inaugural MotoGP™ KymiRing Test comes to a close
- Paranoid about the weather – surely not
- First Women in Motorsport conference takes place in Finland
- Aron Canet signs with Angel Nieto squad for 2020 Moto2™
- "It’s good to be back" – Lorenzo ahead of Silverstone return
- Slight changes to the Silverstone time schedule
- Joan Mir to miss the British Grand Prix
- History made at the KymiRing MotoGP™ Test
- Best photos: KymiRing MotoGP™ Test