It was a challenging weekend for Sam Lowes in the 13th round of the Moto2 World Championship in Misano with the Briton unable to break into the points in Sunday’s 26 lap race.
Friday was a washout at the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli with both free practice sessions held in wet conditions. Lowes showed promise in the first session ranking seventh fastest but a crash early in FP2 ruled out any further progress.
Friday’s wet weather testing was written off with the sun shining on the Adriatic coastline come Saturday and despite sporting an ankle injury from his FP2 crash, Lowes made a strong start in the dry recording the ninth fastest time in the final free practice session. However, unhappy with the set-up of his Honda-powered Speed Up machine, he struggled in the afternoon’s qualifying session leaving him to start Sunday’s race from a lowly 24th position.
Lowes felt more comfortable on the Speed Up for Sunday’s race after drastic changes overnight and setting off from the ninth row of the grid with a level head, the newly 24-year-old maintained position off the start before gradually picking off his rivals. Making his way up to 18th position he worked hard to gap the riders behind but chasing down the three-way battle ahead with limited time remaining proved too much of an ask.
“It’s been a tough weekend and I can’t pretend I’m not disappointed with the results. The bike did feel a bit better for the race but the real progress we’ve made this weekend has been off the track. There will be a few changes to the team for Aragon and I believe this could be what we need to head in the right direction. I’m not here to ride around for 18th place, we’ve already shown we can do better than that and I won’t give up until we get where we want to be.”
Lowes will next be in action at the 14th round of the FIM Moto2 World Championship in Aragon, Spain between 26-28 September.
Source: Sam Lowes Official
- Crutchlow and Viñales meet Chelsea star at Stamford Bridge
- The British Talent Cup season finale arrives at Silverstone!
- Best photos: KymiRing MotoGP™ Test
- Four front, rear slick tyre options selected for Silverstone
- Inaugural MotoGP™ KymiRing Test comes to a close
- Paranoid about the weather – surely not
- First Women in Motorsport conference takes place in Finland
- Aron Canet signs with Angel Nieto squad for 2020 Moto2™
- "It’s good to be back" – Lorenzo ahead of Silverstone return
- Slight changes to the Silverstone time schedule