Sam Lowes leaves Sepang after a difficult weekend which concluded with the British rider crashing out of the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Lowes made a strong start to the weekend on Friday despite having never ridden the Sepang circuit before. He set the 11th fastest time in first free practice and maintained a similar pace on used rubber in the afternoon’s second session.
Clutch problems on Saturday restricted Lowes’ track time and despite improving his time, the Briton qualified 15th for Sunday’s race. The lack of time on track meant Lowes and the Speed Up team had to work hard in Sunday’s morning warm-up session to find a set-up for the race.
After a steady start, the 24-year-old picked off his rivals to move onto the back of the top ten. Before he could make further progress, he ran wide on the final turn with fourteen laps to go and tucked the front, crashing out of the race. He re-joined the race but was subsequently forced to retire.
“It’s been a tough weekend. I spent Friday learning the circuit and then we lost Saturday with a clutch issue so had to set the bike up in morning warm-up! The track temperature in the race was very hot but we managed to make good progress in the first few laps. We changed something with the front for the race but we went in the wrong direction, I ran wide at the last corner and tucked the front trying to square it off. It’s been a hard first time here but the team have worked really hard all weekend. I think we’ll be stronger in Valencia as there are still positives to take.”
Lowes will be back in action for the final round of the Moto2 World Championship at Valencia in Spain between 7-9 November.
Source: Sam Lowes Official
- Marquez, Binder, Navarro within a tenth on Day 2
- Canet closes out Day 2 on top
- Tony Skillington appointed FIM Chief Executive Officer
- Qatar Test: the final countdown begins
- Moto3™: Arbolino quickest out the blocks in 2019
- Moto2™: Marini triumphs on Day 1
- Marc Marquez: karting for Qatar
- Moto2™ and Moto3™: KTM testing at Jerez
- Last call: what can we expect at the Qatar Test?
- Estrella Galicia 0,0 present 2019 project in Madrid