On Saturday, rainy weather spoiled Kiefer Racing’s time attack for strong starting positions. On a drying track, Danny Kent and teammate Dominique Aegerter finally qualified for 12th and 18th position respectively.
During day two of practice, changing weather affected the teams and riders’ further preparations for Sunday’s race in Argentina. Whilst FP3 in the morning was worthless at all, they could not consider the ever-changing conditions in the afternoon.
After a brief rain shower at lunch time, a narrow line dried out quickly during qualifying. Meanwhile, as some other competitors started their time attack immediately with slick tyres and a full dry setting, Kent and Aegerter first went out on track with rain tyres. But it quickly became clear, that the conditions allow to switch to slick tyres.
As soon both Kiefer Racing’s riders continued their session aboard their Suter Moto2 machine adapted to dry conditions, both Kent and Aegerter were able to set really fast lap times. It took just a couple of laps to find them amongst the front guys at the screen. Until a few minutes before the end of the session, both were still in a promising position before the rain came back and therefore their final attempt for a strong starting position was ruined.
The season’s second race is scheduled for Sunday 19:20 CET.
#52 Danny KENT, Grid position 12 – 1´46.719 (18/20):
“Honestly, I’m a bit disappointed. The weather conditions were not really good, it was very complicated for everyone. But towards the end of the session there was a dry line throughout a lap. So, I also had a good feeling with the bike but during the last three laps I made some mistakes by myself. This is why we found ourselves back in twelfth position. From that point of view I’m somewhat of frustrated because I know we have the potential to do better. Anyway, it was a decent weekend so far and it needs a good start tomorrow to fight for a strong result.”
- 2018 and the incredible record of the Road to MotoGP™
- GP Recap: Marquez makes a mark on the title in the Czech GP
- FIM Moto-e World Cup to race with Michelin
- GP Recap: Marquez makes it eight in a row in Germany
- Energica to supply motorcycles for FIM Moto-e World Cup
- Down to business for the Dutch GP
- GP Recap: Rossi takes memorable 115th win in Assen
- GP Recap: A double for Dovizioso at Catalunya
- GP Recap: Dovi does it for Ducati in Mugello
- Decisions of the Grand Prix Commission on November 29th