John McPhee pulled a fast one in qualifying for the Austrian GP, going fifth quickest in the chaotic session after some good pace all weekend. Lining up on the second row lays good foundations for a push forward on Sunday.
Doing 15 laps in the session with a best of 1:36.790, the Scot was only 0.075s behind the fourth fastest time and is looking to push for a podium charge on race day if he can get a good start – with the laptimes all incredibly close at the top.
After almost managing to mount the rostrum from P19 on the grid at Brno, the promising form in qualifying is a great omen ahead of the lights going out for the Moto3™ race at 11:00 GMT on Sunday.
John McPhee, P5:
“With the times being so close, we can be happy with P5 today. I feel strong on the bike and with a good start tomorrow I’m confident I can fight for the podium. Again, qualifying was a gamble today but being in the front few rows is key for the race.”
- The 2019 Mission Winnow Ducati team presented at Neuchâtel
- In pictures: Ducati Team 2019
- SHARK Helmets to title sponsor French GP for three years
- Follow Ducati Team's presentation live!
- 2019 team presentations: all the dates
- Pedrosa to undergo surgery
- "I am very proud to belong to this family"
- Best photos: 2018 season
- Interrupted races: the rules evolve
- Massimo Rivola to be Aprilia Racing CEO