John McPhee pulled a fast one in qualifying for the Austrian GP, going fifth quickest in the chaotic session after some good pace all weekend. Lining up on the second row lays good foundations for a push forward on Sunday.
Doing 15 laps in the session with a best of 1:36.790, the Scot was only 0.075s behind the fourth fastest time and is looking to push for a podium charge on race day if he can get a good start – with the laptimes all incredibly close at the top.
After almost managing to mount the rostrum from P19 on the grid at Brno, the promising form in qualifying is a great omen ahead of the lights going out for the Moto3™ race at 11:00 GMT on Sunday.
John McPhee, P5:
“With the times being so close, we can be happy with P5 today. I feel strong on the bike and with a good start tomorrow I’m confident I can fight for the podium. Again, qualifying was a gamble today but being in the front few rows is key for the race.”
- There’s no place like Assen. Are you ready for more?
- Can Alex Marquez make it four in a row at Assen?
- Down to the final chicane: Dalla Porta looks to strike back
- Be part of the next generation of champions
- Challenge #1 - Rider Playing: Jorge Lorenzo
- Ramirez: "It felt really amazing! It was incredible"
- “It was a normal mistake that had horrendous consequences”
- Dalla Porta: Moto3™’s unluckiest man?
- Aprilia, KTM continue testing in Barcelona
- That's a wrap: MotoE™ complete Valencia Test