Sam Lowes, after a good start, suffered particularly from rear tyre wear which forced him to slow his pace considerably, settling for finishing the race in twentieth place.
“The first part of the race was the best since I’ve been with Aprilia. Both in terms of position and in terms of pace, I was not far behind my teammate and I was making up ground. Unfortunately, we made the wrong rear tyre choice. I felt good at the start with the soft, but then the grip faded and I basically had to manage the last 12 laps just to make it to the chequered flag. It’s too bad about the result, but for us this is the umpteenth important lesson on managing the weekend. Now I am thinking about my home race at Silverstone, where I will be highly motivated.”
- 5 things to check out at COTA on Friday, by...Randy Mamola
- Viñales and Rossi close in on the top
- Aleix Espargaro on “best Friday of the season”
- Dovizioso: “We have some ideas to try tomorrow”
- Randy Mamola becomes a MotoGP™ Legend in Texas
- Iannone fastest on Friday: "Anything is possible"
- Oliveira on top in Texas
- Marquez has company: the King of COTA overthrown on Friday
- Turn 18 renamed Hayden Hill in honour of Nicky Hayden
- Martin deposes Canet on Day 1