LCR Honda rider Cal Crutchlow claimed fourth position at his home race after an enthralling British Grand Prix at Silverstone on Sunday. The 31-year-old thrilled local fans as he was involved in a battle for the podium places throughout, but narrowly missed out on a top-three spot, although he finished the race just a second and half behind eventual winner, Andrea Dovizioso.
Having qualified on the front row and gone third fastest during Sunday’s warm up session, Crutchlow made a solid start and was part of a five-man group who pulled clear of the field. With Marc Marquez retiring seven laps from the end, Crutchlow became the lone Honda rider in contention, but ultimately was edged out by the factory Yamahas of Maverick Viñales and Valentino Rossi who took second and third respectively.
Cal Crutchlow – 4th
“It’s frustrating as I came here to win. You try to win every weekend, but this weekend was a special one, I felt good last year and I felt good again all weekend here, but I just didn’t have enough in the end. The other guys were quicker than me today, the front tyre was too soft for me as always and this was the reason I was struggling with the rear tyre in the end as I was having to spin a lot to turn the bike.
“But I did the best job I could and today that was fourth. A home podium would have been good so yes, I’m disappointed, but all credit to the three guys in front – Dovi (Andrea Dovizioso) rode fantastically. I didn’t think all weekend he was the guy to beat, I thought it would be Marc (Marquez). But we have to go to Misano with our head held high and try again there.”
- #QatarGP 2018 - Sunday Guide
- Marquez, Dovizioso, Petrucci close in Warm Up
- Alex Marquez retains his advantage in Warm Up
- Dalla Porta ahead in Warm Up
- MotoGP™ TV coverage hits new highs in 2018
- Marquez vs Dovi: Sunday set up for a showdown
- Zarco: From gravel trap to pole position at #QatarGP
- Desert duel: Noguchi vs Aji lights up Losail
- New TV graphics for 2018: keep track like never before
- The battle to beat Zarco in Sunday’s sensational #QatarGP