The Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Team had never before been on Japanese soil but the team managed to brilliantly qualify both bikes through Q1 directly into Q2 for the first time to be 7th and 8th on the grid as the lights went green. Through enormous plumes of spray Bradley Smith made a great start.
“They were tricky conditions out there with a lot of water; kinda similar to what we had in Misano but here it just kept on raining. I went back a bit from seventh on the grid…but I was seventh on the grid! It’s been a positive weekend in many ways and through all of the sessions even after a small crash this morning which put me a little on edge at the start. We have had many positives from the wet laps here to take forward to Phillip Island and Sepang, particularly for it rains there. Overall I’m happy with the overall weekend as it was the first time in these conditions so we’ll learn going forward.”
- 5 things to check out at COTA on Friday, by...Randy Mamola
- Viñales and Rossi close in on the top
- Aleix Espargaro on “best Friday of the season”
- Dovizioso: “We have some ideas to try tomorrow”
- Randy Mamola becomes a MotoGP™ Legend in Texas
- Iannone fastest on Friday: "Anything is possible"
- Oliveira on top in Texas
- Marquez has company: the King of COTA overthrown on Friday
- Turn 18 renamed Hayden Hill in honour of Nicky Hayden
- Martin deposes Canet on Day 1