Three days of wind, varying temperatures and more development workwith the KTM RC16 at the Losail International Circuit did not blow-in the results Red Bull KTM Factory Racing were expecting for the first round of nineteen in 2018 MotoGP.
Bradley Smith rallied to the edge of the points-scoring positions but front tyre fade just ten circulations into the race meant that the Brit had to slow his pace and made it to the finish line in 18th spot.
“I was really happy with the start of the race; I was aggressive and I made up some positions. I was in the mix and inside the points. For the first ten laps everything was working quite well and then I started to struggle with the front tyre and a lot of understeer and this was not something we had in any of the tests. The lap-times slowly dropped off. There were some corners where I was OK and others where I was just losing time. It was frustrating because I put myself in a good position to push along with the front guys. It was good to know more about where the KTM needs to improve by being with the other guys on track.”
- Fernandez confirmed at Pons HP 40 for remainder of 2018
- Half way through the season: the reasons to watch WorldSBK
- Marquez swaps engine for pedals ahead of Dutch GP
- Bastianini: “Next year I’ll race in Moto2”
- Pirro: "I can't wait to get on the bike"
- Lowes: “I could have fought for the podium”
- Applications for the British Talent Cup now closed
- The numbers behind the Catalan GP podium
- Pedrosa and Yamaha: a match made in heaven?
- Alex Marquez tests Triumph Moto2™ engine