Moto2 class riders were back together at night on Sunday evening for the first round of the season at the Losail International Circuit as the sun set.
On the fourth row of the grid, Sam Lowes, who was cautious at the start, then set off on a breathtaking comeback. Ninth at mid-race, the Brit gave everything to try to bridge the gap with the group in front of him before crashing.
The two Swiss Innovative Investors KTM’s riders are now heading for the second Grand Prix of the 2018 campaign at Termas De Río Hondo in Argentina.
Sam Lowes (DNF):
“I’m really sorry for my team because everyone worked really hard over the winter. I made a bad start and I ran wide on the first lap. I made good passes and kept going forwards. Unfortunately I hit a neutral and crashed at T16. I don’t want to make excuses it’s not good to make mistakes in the first race one, but the season is long. We will fight and come back stronger. I will improve, thanks so much to the team for the support.”
- Bagnaia tops FP2, Schrötter remains quickest overall
- Marquez resists Ducati charge on Day 1
- Red Bull Rookies Champion eligible for Moto3™ ride in 2018
- Bastianini bolts to the top on Friday in Aragon
- FIM withdraws Romano Fenati's licence
- Schrötter leads Bagnaia, Lowes in Moto2™ FP1
- MotoStudent grand final approaches
- Dominant Dovi leads Ducati quartet in FP1
- Kornfeil, Rodrigo fastest but both suffer late crashes
- Marquez vs Dovizioso vs Lorenzo moves into MotorLand