FIM, The Government of San Juan, OSD and Dorna WSBK Organization have confirmed the Argentinean WorldSBK Round will go ahead from 12th – 14th October, following a meeting held between all parties last week.
Confirming the event will take place at the new El Villicum circuit means the 2018 MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship will have 13 Rounds this season, and no changes will be made to the provisional calendar.
Sergio Uñac from the Government of San Juan is looking ahead to Round: “We are looking forward to the World Superbike Championship arriving in October for the first time. We are working hard to make this happen and it will be a fantastic boost for tourism in the area. Working with a long-term project in mind, we are building the El Villicum circuit to be one of the best venues for motor events in South America. We look forward to inviting you all to our province, and we will offer the best possible welcome.”
Orlando Terranova, OSD adds: “We want to make WorldSBK in Argentina a unique Round for all lovers of motorcycling in Latin America. After the success of the fifth MotoGP™ visit to the Termas de Rio Hondo, we are now working in this integral project with passion. We look forward to fans arriving in San Juan in October along the stunning Route 40, and enjoying two magnificent races with the worlds fastest production motorcycle series.”
Daniel Carrera, WorldSBK Executive Director, explains: “We have a very challenging project in front of us due to the time frames, but after the meeting last week we have been able to design a plan which ensures that the essential facilities to run the event will be provided at adequte levels next October. El Villicum is set to be a reference circuit once 100% completed, and will be the perfect destination to host WorldSBK, bearing in mind also the amazing location of the race track, in front of the Andes foothills and surrounded by vineyards.”
- There’s no place like Assen. Are you ready for more?
- Can Alex Marquez make it four in a row at Assen?
- Down to the final chicane: Dalla Porta looks to strike back
- Be part of the next generation of champions
- Challenge #1 - Rider Playing: Jorge Lorenzo
- Ramirez: "It felt really amazing! It was incredible"
- “It was a normal mistake that had horrendous consequences”
- Dalla Porta: Moto3™’s unluckiest man?
- Aprilia, KTM continue testing in Barcelona
- That's a wrap: MotoE™ complete Valencia Test