Team Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 wrapped up the opening round of the 2019 Moto2 campaign with a solid performance of Sam Lowes in what was a complicated race at Losail. The Briton was sixth at the chequered flag and therefore earned ten precious points.
From the sixth slot of the starting grid, the returning Gresini rider enjoyed a good start and stayed with the front group. Then hard battles on track – especially with Alex Marquez – cost him that extra second and the chances for a podium finish.
Despite missing the top-three, it was a solid start to the season for the former World Supersport Champion, who looked at ease on the bike and with the team led by Tommaso Raponi.
The next event on the calendar will take place in three weeks at Termas de Rio Hondo, where Lowes was second in 2016 while racing in Gresini colours.
“It was the first race of the year and as usual, everybody gives a little extra. That is why I lost touch with the front group due to some battles with other riders, and it’s a shake because I know in the last ten laps I had podium pace. But we can take this result as the highlight of the weekend and I’m sure there’s something to learn ahead of the next race in Argentina. I want to thank the team because they did an outstanding job. It was good to start on the right foot and score some important points.”
- Four front, rear slick tyre options selected for Silverstone
- Inaugural MotoGP™ KymiRing Test comes to a close
- Paranoid about the weather – surely not
- First Women in Motorsport conference takes place in Finland
- Aron Canet signs with Angel Nieto squad for 2020 Moto2™
- "It’s good to be back" – Lorenzo ahead of Silverstone return
- Slight changes to the Silverstone time schedule
- Joan Mir to miss the British Grand Prix
- History made at the KymiRing MotoGP™ Test
- Best photos: KymiRing MotoGP™ Test