The PETRONAS Sprinta Racing Moto3 team had a positive first day of Free Practice at Mugello, as the riders readied themselves for the Italian GP. The winner of the most recent round in France two weeks ago, with John Mcphee setting the fifth fastest time on Friday.
John started the opening day at Mugello with the same form he had showed at the French GP, clocking the third best time in FP1 of 1min 58.360 secs, on his penultimate lap.
In the afternoon, John turned his attention to setup adjustments, and would only put on new tyres in the final part of the session. The Briton lowered his best time to 1min 57.648secs, the fifth fastest of the day.
The PETRONAS Sprinta Racing duo will aim to mantain Q2 spots in tomorrow’s FP3. Qualifying will be held at 12:35pm local time (Q1) and 1:00pm (Q2).
#17 John McPhee
“It’s good to come to Mugello and finish the first day in the top five. We saw at Le Mans that I was very strong, and in the last four sessions of that weekend I was the fastest rider. That’s why going fast from the off, at a totally different track like Mugello, has been very good. We wanted to try a couple of things in FP2 that we eventually decided against, so for the last run all we did was put on the new tyres and try to set a good lap time. I did it by riding alone, so I lost a lot of time on the straight with the strong wind; that’s ok, because it means that with a slipstream I would have set an even better lap time. Tomorrow we will continue working in the same way. Qualifying will be important, but I feel very good on the bike and the team are working very well.”
- Crutchlow and Viñales meet Chelsea star at Stamford Bridge
- The British Talent Cup season finale arrives at Silverstone!
- Best photos: KymiRing MotoGP™ Test
- Four front, rear slick tyre options selected for Silverstone
- Inaugural MotoGP™ KymiRing Test comes to a close
- Paranoid about the weather – surely not
- First Women in Motorsport conference takes place in Finland
- Aron Canet signs with Angel Nieto squad for 2020 Moto2™
- "It’s good to be back" – Lorenzo ahead of Silverstone return
- Slight changes to the Silverstone time schedule