PETRONAS Sprinta Racing Moto3 rider John McPhee rose up the order in Sunday’s Italian Grand Prix at Mugello, going from the sixth row of the grid to sixth place after an excellent fightback.
John made an extraordinary start from 17th and was up into sixth place before the end of the opening lap. The Briton moved into podium positions at various points throughout the race and, after tussling amongst a large group of riders, eventually crossed the line sixth, continuing a run of good form including victory last time out at the French GP.
John is now 8th in the overall standings with 44 points. The next challenge for the PETRONAS Sprinta Racing riders will be the Catalan GP, which will be held from June 14-16th at the Barcelona-Catalunya Circuit.
#17 John McPhee
“Anything can happen at Mugello. I made a great start and was able to catch the frontrunners in the opening corners. I tried to be smart and get onto the home straight fourth at the end, because I knew that if I was in first or second, two or three riders would pass me. On the last lap I got on the brakes very late on the last corner and another rider passed me. Nevertheless, finishing in P6, ahead of the World Championship leader and some of the riders who are at the sharp end of the standings, is positive. These points are good after a disappointing qualifying session on Saturday. We were able to show that we had speed and that yesterday was a result of isolated errors. I’m looking forward to the next race.”
- History made at the KymiRing MotoGP™ Test
- Best photos: KymiRing MotoGP™ Test
- “It’s a dream come true” – MotoGP™ authorities on KymiRing
- Everyone's a winner: vast and fast, Silverstone awaits
- Marquez vs Moto2™: can the field triumph over the form man?
- Moot point? The Moto3™ duel lands in the UK
- MotoGP™ KymiRing test ready for lift off in Finland
- "Top speed and braking stability are important"
- Fabio Quartararo shares his secrets to a fast lap
- KTM, Red Bull and Ajo Motorsport to continue collaboration