PETRONAS Sprinta Racing’s John McPhee clocked the tenth best time in Saturday’s qualifying session for the Catalan GP and will start the race from the fourth row of the grid. Moto3 team-mate Ayumu Sasaki did not make it out of Q1, and will take off from 23rd.
John set a fastest lap of 1min 49.454secs in Q2. The British rider opted for a two-stint strategy, but did not manage to improve his time on his second run, and will thus start from the fourth row at the Barcelona-Catalunya Circuit.
In FP3, John put in the 14th fastest time of 1min 48.975secs, going directly into Q2 for the fifth occasion in seven races this season.
The 21-lap Moto3 race will take place tomorrow at 11:00am local time.
#17 John McPhee
“It was a difficult qualifying session – and a difficult day overall. My speed isn’t bad, especially on long runs, but I’m struggling when looking for a fast lap; qualifying has been the hardest session of the entire weekend. Finishing 10th is ok, but our goal was to be on one of the first three rows. We are a little behind where we would like to be, but the race is tomorrow and my strong point this weekend has been my race pace. Hopefully we can get a good start and we can be in the fight. My fast laps aren’t fantastic, but I think that battling in a big group I can be strong. I think we’ll have a good fight tomorrow.”
- Global Series Round 2: sustaining speed at Sepang
- Rigorous tyre test awaits at MotorLand Aragon
- Time schedule: changes to the GP Michelin® de Aragon
- Engines ON for Aragon!
- Marquez vs Fernandez: is this the duel for the crown?
- Is Dalla Porta now in the Moto3™ driving seat?
- On your marks! Round 2 of the 2019 Global Series is here!
- Changes to Moto2™ and Moto3™ regulations announced
- Johann Zarco replaced by Mika Kallio for rest of 2019 season
- Kaito Toba joins Red Bull KTM Ajo for the 2020 Moto3™ season