There is a smile back on Sam Lowes’s face as today at Montmeló, the venue hosting the seventh round of the 2019 Moto2 World Championship, as the Briton is back within the Parc Fermé at the end of qualifying. This is Lowes’s third first-row qualifying of the year after the ones claimed in Argentina and USA.
Despite the good feelings in the morning – he was third in the combined FP results after the third session – the man from Lincoln only managed to snatch a front-row start at the very last moment after a session that saw him struggling especially in the last sector.
With 15 riders within 7 tenths every millisecond counted, so Lowes will line up on the front row of the #CatalanGP grid courtesy of a 1’44.199secs time – which was only 29 thousandths of a second shy of pole position.
“We have a good pace and I know we can put up a fight tomorrow. Things weren’t easy today in qualifying as in the early laps I wasn’t feeling fully comfortable, but then little by little I managed to improve. We’ve been working very well together this weekend so this front row is very important ahead of tomorrow. It will be a big group of riders at the front, but still it was crucial to be there, too. We still have something to fix tomorrow morning in the warm up in order to be quicker in the last sector, but we’re eager and ready to do well.”
- Enjoy ALL the MotoGP™ content for FREE
- Marquez & Quartararo just miss out on Virtual Race rostrum
- The world reacts to the first ever MotoGP™ Virtual Race
- Alex Marquez thanks Indonesia's Moe for Virtual Race victory
- Bagnaia delighted with "different" debut MotoGP™ podium
- Alex Marquez takes debut win in sensational Virtual Race
- Virtual Race: tune in for Round 1 - and get ready for more
- Puig: "Marc is a normal guy. But racing, he's an animal"
- Watch 10 of Valentino Rossi’s best races – for FREE!
- MotoGP™ Podcast in 2020: more platforms, more formats