Sam Lowes puts together his so-far best qualifying performance of the season as he claimed the second spot on the grid for the tenth race of the year. The standard bearer of Team Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 made the most of a mixed-condition session and with the use of slick tyres, he challenged Alex Marquez for pole position right until the end of Q2.
It was a positive Saturday afternoon for the British rider, who is confident with his race pace after the solid work done with used tyres. Lowes already has four front-row starts on his season tally (Argentina, Texas, Catalunya and Brno) but only a sixth place as best race result (Qatar) and a seventh from the third row in Austin.
From 12:20 GMT+2 tomorrow he will try to turn things around for a #CzechGP that could see him among the protagonists.
2nd – SAM LOWES #22 (2’08.805)
“It was a complicated qualifying session because the track was initially drying up quite quickly. I went out with wet tyres but after a lap I decided to go back in and put slicks on. It’s surely a good result as we worked hard to take the best pace out of used tyres ahead of the race and I think we can have a good one. I think this weekend we’ll be competitive and we can still find a couple of tenths during warm up, which could help the cause no doubt.”
- "I really wanted to do it" - Lorenzo on no wildcards in 2020
- Carlo Ubbiali: a career in photos
- MotoGP™ Legend Carlo Ubbiali passes away
- MotoGP™ riders prepped for more Catalunya action
- VR46 Academy back on track together at Misano
- “I didn't think he was Rossi level good”
- Motul Grand Prix of Japan cancelled
- Bendsneyder comes out on top in a British Moto2™ battle
- Nepa cruises to virtual Moto3™ win at Silverstone
- "Veni, vidi, vici" - Silverstone is Lorenzo's Land again