Sam Lowes puts together his so-far best qualifying performance of the season as he claimed the second spot on the grid for the tenth race of the year. The standard bearer of Team Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 made the most of a mixed-condition session and with the use of slick tyres, he challenged Alex Marquez for pole position right until the end of Q2.
It was a positive Saturday afternoon for the British rider, who is confident with his race pace after the solid work done with used tyres. Lowes already has four front-row starts on his season tally (Argentina, Texas, Catalunya and Brno) but only a sixth place as best race result (Qatar) and a seventh from the third row in Austin.
From 12:20 GMT+2 tomorrow he will try to turn things around for a #CzechGP that could see him among the protagonists.
2nd – SAM LOWES #22 (2’08.805)
“It was a complicated qualifying session because the track was initially drying up quite quickly. I went out with wet tyres but after a lap I decided to go back in and put slicks on. It’s surely a good result as we worked hard to take the best pace out of used tyres ahead of the race and I think we can have a good one. I think this weekend we’ll be competitive and we can still find a couple of tenths during warm up, which could help the cause no doubt.”
- Big changes made to MotoGP™ testing schedule
- Will Marquez be unleashed at Motegi?
- Four to go: Fernandez starts his final stand on Marquez turf
- Can Canet start climbing another mountain at Motegi?
- Moto3™ title to be decided in Valencia
- KTM’s female excellence: making the difference in MotoGP™
- Brazil and MotoGP™: a rekindled relationship
- F1’s Gasly on "amazing" Thai GP experience
- "We've been waiting for this!" - Brazil's stars on 2022 GP
- MotoGP™ returns to Rio de Janeiro from 2022