Sam Lowes puts together his so-far best qualifying performance of the season as he claimed the second spot on the grid for the tenth race of the year. The standard bearer of Team Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 made the most of a mixed-condition session and with the use of slick tyres, he challenged Alex Marquez for pole position right until the end of Q2.
It was a positive Saturday afternoon for the British rider, who is confident with his race pace after the solid work done with used tyres. Lowes already has four front-row starts on his season tally (Argentina, Texas, Catalunya and Brno) but only a sixth place as best race result (Qatar) and a seventh from the third row in Austin.
From 12:20 GMT+2 tomorrow he will try to turn things around for a #CzechGP that could see him among the protagonists.
2nd – SAM LOWES #22 (2’08.805)
“It was a complicated qualifying session because the track was initially drying up quite quickly. I went out with wet tyres but after a lap I decided to go back in and put slicks on. It’s surely a good result as we worked hard to take the best pace out of used tyres ahead of the race and I think we can have a good one. I think this weekend we’ll be competitive and we can still find a couple of tenths during warm up, which could help the cause no doubt.”
- History made at the KymiRing MotoGP™ Test
- Best photos: KymiRing MotoGP™ Test
- “It’s a dream come true” – MotoGP™ authorities on KymiRing
- Everyone's a winner: vast and fast, Silverstone awaits
- Marquez vs Moto2™: can the field triumph over the form man?
- Moot point? The Moto3™ duel lands in the UK
- MotoGP™ KymiRing test ready for lift off in Finland
- "Top speed and braking stability are important"
- Fabio Quartararo shares his secrets to a fast lap
- KTM, Red Bull and Ajo Motorsport to continue collaboration